We are so grateful for the generous support we have already received to launch our community resource.
*******NEW OPPORTUNITY ******
FOR WORKING MEMBERS OF THE FRANKLIN COMMUNITY COOP (GREEN FIELDS MARKET/MCCUSKERS MARKET) to get deep grocery discount for working 2 hrs/month in the orchard!!!
Initial financing for purchase of the trees came from two generous individual donors who believe in the power of community energy to heal the planet.
Major grant funding came from two grants from the New England Grassroots Environment Fund with an initial “Seed Grant” to help install the community garden fence, and a subsequent “Grow Grant” in year two to launch our website and begin community engagement and outreach.
We have received generous IN-KIND donations from local neighbors and friends:
- W.R Hillman & Sons Excavating, for helping clear and flatten the field space for our community gardens
- Soil analysis by soil scientist Ghadi Tayeh to optimize soil health and replace nutrients
- Lanoue Tree & Landscaping Service for bark mulch for our community garden pathways and extension of orchard rows.
- Pollinator support plant plugs from Wing and a Prayer Nursery, Cummington, MA.
- Artistic contributions from Emily Gopen for our gorgeous, painted, welcome mandala (soon to be installed). Musical performers were AMAZING at our Open House including: Sonny Crawford and friend (banjo/guitar); Lui Collins (tenor ukulele, banjo); Marco DePaolis & friend (fiddle, banjo, guitar); Celtic music with Desiree Lowit (fiddle), Jeff Knox (acoustic bass), Andy Vanassche (guitar), Carol Delorenzo (Irish whistles), and Katie (flutist)
- and work energy from our growing guild of kind people committed to working for a stronger, healthier community! Yes, that means YOU!
Developing community partnerships:
Conversations begun with local school, senior center, and religious community stakeholders.
Sowing Solutions – Permaculture Education and Ecological Garden Design for collaborations with upcoming permaculture education workshops (to be announced soon). We are grateful to Sowing Solutions guru Kay Parker, for permaculture planning and expertise in the orchard development. We appreciate help from her Permaculture Design Course students with mulching, planting, and creative brainstorming for design solutions.
The Art Garden, our local community art school. Hoping to explore art installations and visioning to complement their recent exhibit dedication to local food insecurity.
Our neighbors at Frog Song Farm, Conway, MA, a winter CSA that provides hoop tunnels for an extended gardening season for our summer community gardeners.